Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Lesson in Place Value

When my mother-in-law brought in my birthday cake (aka Francine), we all mutually decided that we would burn the house down if we put 31 candles on my cake, due to the size of Francine's skirt. We are all about fire safety.

So I picked out four candles: three pink and 1 yellow. I told Avery that the pink ones represented the tens and the yellow one represented the ones. Since she is five, this went right over her head, of course. But it made me feel good. Like I was using my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Ed and helping my child learn mathematics all at the same time. I like to pretend.

You never know when you will need to bust out a lesson in place value!

Teacher friends: Let me know if you want to use this lesson during fire safety month.

0 comments: