Friday, January 23, 2009

Hope


If you aren't a supporter of Barack Obama, you may not like this posting. Feel free to exit now! If you are surprised or doubtful at my passion on this topic, please do me a favor and exit the blog right now. I hate to imagine anyone I know rolling their eyes over this posting. This blog is not merely to share family photos and cute stories about my kids. I decided a long time ago that I would also use my blog as my own sounding board to write about the things I care about in the world. So please do not be offended or alienated from this posting if you disagree with me. For at least three years, my husband and I have been watching Barack Obama....since long before people starting talking about him as a possible candidate for President. I think he first caught our attention when we saw him speaking somewhere on C-span or something. We both kind of looked at each other and said, "Whoa." We both read his book, The Audacity of Hope a couple of years ago. I am proud to admit that before he announced that he was a candidate, I thought to myself...."Wouldn't it be amazing if...." Well, that "if" has happened. You know those questions on silly email surveys that say "If you could meet anyone alive or dead who would it be?" I hate those questions because I never know my answer. Before now I certainly would never have said that I would want to meet a President. That has changed! I am truly inspired by President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. I have been thinking for days about how in the world I would be able to put my feelings into words about Tuesday's Inauguration. All I can say is that I won't ever forget it. I fought tears all day with every image that I saw on T.V. This is a defining moment for our country and I am very grateful that I am here to witness it. The images from the Inauguration are something that we will be telling our children and grandchildren about and something that will be locked in our minds and hearts forever. After two years of watching speeches, reading articles, getting texts from his campaign, listening to speeches, the day has come. I am not usually a very political person. I don't claim any certain party as my own. I could care less about donkeys and elephants! This is why I never wanted to join a sorority in college.....just not my style. I never vote based on party. What I do care about is the caliber of a person running for office. The "content of their character" as MLK Jr. said in his famous speech. And to those of you that voted for Barack Obama, but told people that you voted for John McCain (you know who you are), never be afraid to stand up for what you believe in! Do I agree with Barack Obama on every issue? Of course not! I don't even agree with my own husband on every issue or anyone else for that matter! I'm not sure what else to say. It was a good week for America.

0 comments: