Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Americana


Sometimes it is real nice to live in a small town. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I used to think that I would be a city girl. I do love going to cities, but after the last few months we have had, I think there are a lot of great things to be said about small town living. When I had my gall bladder removed, people were so sweet about bringing over food for us. People sent me cards and offered to help with my girls. That kindness continued as things went downhill with my father-in-law. My fellow teachers put together a care package in May that had lots of fun activities for the girls and gift cards to the gas station for all those trips back and forth to the hospital and even more gift cards to restaurants, since we were never home for dinner. We have felt such an out pouring of love from people in the last few months. People I don't even know came and mowed the yard for us! When Steve passed away, people from Faye and Steve's church brought over huge meals. It had been so long since any of us had really enjoyed a home cooked meal. My friend and principal broker at Gemini, Suzzi, brought an amazing meal over...homeade chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, green beans, pinneapple upside down cake. When you are surrounded by such caring people, it really makes you appreciate that small town attitude. At the annual 4th of July parade in town, I looked around at all the people chatting and laughing. So many people lined the streets to see the simple parade. People were so happy to see each other. At the rain delayed fireworks on the 5th, tons of people came back out and brought their lawn chairs through the front lawn of the town hall. I don't think we would experience these things if we lived in a big city where no one knows each other. This week we are in the process of moving. I have already met one of the neighboring families and they are so nice. I just feel grateful right now to have the comfort of knowing that if something ever goes wrong in life, I can count on the love of friends, neighbors, and the whole community. I can also count on good food!

0 comments: