Monday, January 11, 2010

Workout fantasies

I have discovered something weird about myself. When I workout, I tend to get very focused and have very vivid fantasies. Sound weird? Are you scared yet? Well, it gets weirder....
all of my fantasies are different variations of the same scenario....

Depending on the music I am listening to, I walk very confidently into a room, wearing a certain outfit that fits the music, wearing very specific shoes. The shoes are key.

That's it. There are never any other people in these visions. Just me and some killer shoes.

I'm dead serious. I can't stop replaying this same scenario in my head as I am on the elliptical, bike, or treadmill! I just picture myself walking in different outfits and shoes that fit the genre of music.

I tend to listen to a large variety of music on my iPod. In one workout, I listened to Salt n' Pepa "Push it", and Dean Martin "Ain't that a kick in the Head." So today when my iPod went to Nancy Sinatra, "These Boots are Made for Walkin" I hesitated. I wondered if Nancy Sinatra is really great motivating workout music. Just for kicks, I left it on and BAM! There is that fantasy again. I'm walking into a room confidently and wearing knee high white boots! This image seriously made me work harder on the elliptical. I can't get over how simple and weird it is all at the same time. Then I listened to an old Patty Loveless song "Blame it on Your Heart" and imagined walking confidently into a country bar wearing cowboy boots and a mini skirt. Then I listened to a Fergie song and imagined a business suit and heels. Yeah, I know, I know. Fergie and business suits?? I can't explain it.

I seriously love fantasizing about fashion and shoes. Hey...whatever keeps you going on the elliptical, right?

I giggled to myself because I am 100% positive that I was probably the ONLY person in L.A. Fitness listening to Nancy Sinatra. I mean...what is this....1967? I am probably also the only weird person to get inspired to workout harder by Dean Martin. Um, did I mention that I am 30 and not 65?

(By the way....in the Dean Martin song sequence, I am strutting down Las Vegas Blvd. in a retro 1950s looking dress, pearls, and heels).

Wow. I can't believe I just blogged all that weirdness. If you know me and you are reading this, I am so so sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh jeez- I know from where the shoe fantasy comes. Did I ever send you a picture?

Bruce

Mom said...

The shoe fetish is genetic.