Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hello Grownup World

This last year feels like a dream. It has been a year since I left my classroom to regain something that I felt I had lost...my babies. I have written before about how I spent long hours doing school related work (obsessively) and long hours traveling back and forth to the hospital/hospice when my father-in-law was so sick. I started to feel so lost. I felt like my sweet little girls didn't care about me and didn't need me. So I spent a year reconnecting with my girls, and it was truly a dream. We are unbelievably close now and that will never be taken away. There have been many times in the last year when I have sat with both of them, curled up in the recliner to read books for the third time in one day, where I have wished with all my heart to make those moments last forever and ever. I cherished all of it. But it turns out that when everybody says being a grownup is hard, they were right. Sometimes being a grownup requires you to do things for the good of your family even if it means making sacrifices...like curling up in recliners at 1:00 in the afternoon to read books. I think this Mama has no choice but to return to the workforce. I am a Realtor, and truly enjoy it, but Realtors do not get a paycheck every two weeks. Not even close. Unfortunately, we are not in a position at the ripe old age of 31 and 32 to have the luxury of me being a stay at home mom with sporadic income on the side. I have been faced with heart wrenching decisions all week and it is only Wednesday. I thought the picture above was the perfect contrast to the grownup that I have had to be this week. This year has been a precious gift.

3 comments:

The Nolands said...

Are you going back to teaching?

Stephanie Stewart said...

That photo is so precious! All of you look absolutely HAPPY! Gorgeous smiles! Best of luck with your grownup decisions, I know everything will work out for the best!

Mom said...

I am proud of the strength you show as a woman, mother, partner, and friend. I am proud you are my girl.