Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thought for the Day

Today a friend of mine said that I was a "hypersensitive" person. It doesn't matter who said it or in what context, and of course I didn't say a word to that person about it because I just wouldn't. I didn't want to appear to be too sensitive. It was said in jest, but my friend must really think that of me. This has been on my mind today. When someone says lightheartedly that you are a hypersensitive person, it is difficult to make sense of the statement. So I did what I would normally do.....pondered it all day, which of course is EXACTLY what a hypersensitive person would do. My friend is right. I wish it didn't make me sound so defective though. We live in an insensitive world. Is it so bad if some people are overly sensitive to make up for the lack of sensitivity in the world we live in? Here is the thing. I am freakishly in tune to people, whether I know them or not. My intuition is alive and kicking at all times. I can sense people's moods when they walk into a room. This is not a fun trait to live with because it often leads to inner turmoil. I told my husband this story while making dinner with all the details and he said for me to stop overanalyzing it. Because that is what I do. Overanalyze. Like now. Overanalyzing on my blog.

Okay, I'll shut up.

P.S. If you don't make a comment, I will wonder why you didn't. This will lead to more hypersensitivity and the vicious cycle continues.

Okay, I'll really shut up now.
Except I know I am still going to think about this.
Sigh.
It is amazing that I function at all.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Now I am really worried about having a room next to you! I am constantly going to wonder if you are analyzing what I say, what I do, my body language, etc., etc., etc. Oh my....

Beth Terry Hill said...

If you are considered Hypersensitive I must be a TOTAL NUT CASE! Or you have a LOT more poise than I do about it! I love you just the way you are! You are not overly sensitive. Are you more sensitive than most people? Yes. But there are LOTS of people like you...they are called CARING! You are a teacher, a mother, you've had to live a sensitive life and be supportive to lots of people at an unusually young age. Don't let others get you down. You think, feel and say what YOU need to. Don't let others tell you who you are or how you are! DON'T CONFORM TO THE MOLD OF SOCIETY! I'm gonna say it...this is the EXACT reason I left the area! And this is from your counselor-speaking-sis-in-law