Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Attraversare

You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight." — Elizabeth Gilbert

Isn't life amazing? It is only Wednesday, yet I feel like it has been a whole week since Monday. This week I got to hold a friend's newborn baby in my arms when she was less than 24 hours old! I will never lose my amazement of newborns with their scrunchy faces and grasping hands. People asked me today, "Did holding the baby make you want another baby?" What kind of a question is that? No. I wasn't thinking about my own life at all. I was actually marveling at the new life in my arms. New babies always pretty much blow my mind.

I am feeling peaceful this week, despite the fact that my students have talked incessantly all week. Oh wait, it is only Wednesday. I have had so many thoughts in my head swirling around, but that is normal. I keep reflecting on my journey as a person through this interesting life of mine. I remember a time in the not so distant past that I felt paranoid and anxious about every detail of life. I woke up every night at 3 a.m. in an absolute panic. Those feelings are gone for now. At work I see other people who seem to be in a panic about such small details. Now it just makes me laugh. I used to be like that. Now I know, each day is a new day and you can't sweat the small stuff.

My brother celebrated his 26th birthday yesterday. I am the oldest in my entire family and the only girl, so it is interesting to think about how each of my brothers have affected my life and to watch Avery and Piper in their crazy life as sisters. Siblings are so important. When your childhood seems like a blur, they are one of the only people who can assure you that the things you remember really did happen! And boy oh boy, have we had some things happen in our family! People wonder how I am so patient. I have no idea, but I know that my life has led me to grow up to be a very patient person. No need to go on about the stresses in my life right now because stress will always be there. It is a part of life. I am patient because I know that no matter how awful someone is behaving or how stressful something may seem, that it will all pass and that there is a reason for everything.

I saw Eat, Pray, Love tonight with some close friends. Some people really don't "get" the book or care for it, but that book seriously rocked my world. The movie doesn't totally do the book justice, even though it is a good movie on its own. It was weird watching a movie of the book that changed my life. I need to read it again. The movie reminded me of a lot of things that really struck a chord in the book. I love the part in the book/movie where a group of friends are talking about how all things have a word you can associate it with. For example, New York's word is ambition. The movie talked about how people have words too. I wonder what my word is? I don't know yet!!! That's okay though.

Each day it is so important to find that inner stillness that Elizabeth Gilbert worked so hard to find. It is work though. It is work to find stillness in a world where we are bombarded by so many things piled high on our plates.

Speaking of blessings, my mom just randomly texted me at 11:30 p.m. Her text said, "Miss you all. My babies! Love you guys." Her text is a simple reminder that no matter how old I get or how stressed I can be, there is always love around just waiting to be grabbed up!

I hope everyone can find some stillness and peace out there tonight!

0 comments: