Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wonderful Day

I would never in a million years wish my kids to be sick. However, Piper has had an ongoing cough for weeks. When she started holding her ears two nights ago, I decided to stay home from work on Wednesday to take her to the doctor. Sure enough, she had a double ear infection. I originally intended to take Avery to the babysitter's without Piper. Avery would not stand for that! She said, "I can't go to Roxanne's without my sissy. It won't be fun without her. I just want Mommy too." Keep in mind that the two girls do not stay in the same room at Roxanne's, so this was a silly reason! However, I couldn't resist her big brown eyes, so I told her she could stay home too. You may be wondering why this is a good story.....sick kid, missing work, etc. I am getting to that part! While Piper slept in, Avery and I cuddled on the couch and watched cartoons until 9:30. Calm moments like this with Avery are very rare. It was the best morning I have had in a very long time. Even though I would never want either girl to be sick, I have to admit it was wonderful to be home with them all day. So here I am again faced with the same thoughts that always creep in my head. Thoughts of not wanting to be at work. Thoughts of not caring about work. Thoughts of wondering how I can continue doing a job that is so demanding on my time. I don't know the answer to this. Actually, maybe I do, but I am afraid to follow my heart. All I know for sure is that I don't want to look back and regret all the times that I have to work at night and on the weekends. I don't want to miss these precious times with my babies. I don't mind working during the day full-time. It is evenings and weekends that are killing me. The work never seems to have an end. I envy my husband....as he brings no work home, never works at night or on weekends, and makes more money. Just writing about this gives me a knot in my stomach. I need to move on to something happier.....

In other news, Steve and Amy are leaving on Tuesday to go get Mary from Taiwan!!! Everyone is so excited. We are all going to greet them at the airport when they return. They have been waiting for Mary's Gotcha Day for so long.

1 comments:

The Merchant's said...

When you go meet them at the airport, make sure to get an American flag for Avery to wave. If I have one, I'll send it with mom and dad. When Mary enters the USA she will get her citizenship. Marcia & I did this for a friend that adopted from China. If I can't find one, you should be able to get on at Michael's or Hobby Lobby since it is close to Veteran's Day.