Monday, September 28, 2009

My Perfect Day...Sigh

I make it no secret that my husband is my absolute favorite person on Earth. I absolutely love nothing more than spending time alone with him. Like most couples with young kids, we rarely get to spend time alone, which causes me to go into major bouts of withdrawal. Even in the wee hours of the night, we have a four year old smack dab in between us! We rarely seek out help with watching our girls. However, after being inspired by Quatro Mama's blog post on dating your husband and convenant relationships, I decided our time alone was long overdue. So my hubby took a mental health day on a Monday....a very rare occurence. My husband does NOT ever take a sick day! Our youngest went to daycare and our oldest went to my brother's house for the day. My brother and his fiance were kind enough to watch Avery all day on their day off! That's brotherly love! We woke up not knowing where our day would take us, but by the end it turned out to be one of the best days I have ever had. I managed to indulge in a bubble bath in our garden tub.I did NOT look as fabulous as the woman in this picture, but I felt like it! I typically don't wear heels with poof balls on the top, let alone in the bath tub! Instead of a glass of bubbly, I had my favorite beverage of choice.

After a quiet, relaxing morning without Disney Channel or Radio Disney (insert gasp!), we left the house and went to our favorite restaurant, On the Border, for some empanadas.

Then we went to our favorite place, Barnes and Noble. We are easily entertained and well, kind of nerdy. We sat in big comfy chairs for two hours and looked at books. Then for the absolute best part of our day...we walked on the trails at the local park through all the fall trees and sat on a bench and just talked! No interruptions....just the man that I love more than anything and the sound of wind in the trees. If you aren't gagging by now, you may be wondering why I am telling you all this. The point goes back to Quatro Mama's blog post that inspired me in the first place. You have to nurture your relationship with your husband. You have to "date" each other and remember why you fell in love in the first place. You have to put each other first. Our entire day cost about $20, but the whole experience was priceless. When we left the park to pick up our little Punkin and Bean, we felt energized, inspired, and ready to take on the world. We managed to do some of our very favorite things....eating our favorite meal, crunching leaves under our feet, just being silly, etc, etc. There is plenty of time in life for stressful Mondays, so it is okay to stop and "run away" together every once in awhile. Like the old quote says, "we are the heroes of our own stories." If you aren't in love or you are alone, please take this kind of a mental health day just for yourself. Shut off your phone, stay away from Facebook, and just BE! You will walk away feeling more connected with your true self. It really helps to crunch through some leaves too!

1 comments:

The Merchant's said...

I'm jealous, on a couple different levels...but I know I do have an amazing brother who loves you more than anything. I'm glad he recognized and honored your wish to have some time to yourselves. You both deserved it !!!