Friday, March 12, 2010

Flea Market Finds

Last Saturday, I went with my sis-in-law to a flea market for the first time. Flea markets are filled with interesting sorts. However when it came to the booths, there were a few diamonds in the rough. My absolute favorite booth belonged to an older lady who scouts out vintage jewelry at estate sales and auctions. I wish I would have had the nerve to ask for her picture because she was fabulously eccentric looking. She wore a black velvet conductor's hat and a top with silver sequins with some lovely brooches pinned on both her top and hat. Below are the treasures that I left with.

The scorpion brooch was the first thing that caught my eye. In Arizona, my mother's coworkers call her the "Scorpion Queen" because of a scorpion problem she had in her house last year. My mother also collects brooches and keeps them on display in a shadow box that hangs in her bathroom. Since my mother often sends me suprises, I thought she was due to get one! This scorpion will be sent to Arizona to the Scorpion Queen herself!

I fell in love with this owl. I really liked the light blue stones because it made me think of Spring. I think this owl would look cute pinned to a scarf.
My last treasure was these vintage clip-on earrings. They are the exact same color of orange of a bridesmaid dress that I will be wearing in August for my brother's wedding (where I get to be the official "old" bridesmaid). I thought maybe we could pin them into an updo or something for the wedding.
They are rather large on my ears, but I have always been a fan of large earrings. If I am ever having a Mad Men fashion moment, I may just wear these beauties.

I wonder if I will be an eccentric old lady someday....wearing velvet conductor's hats and someone else's old jewelry?! You just never know!

2 comments:

Mom said...

I am so excited about my scorpion pin. Are you wearing two earrings or one. They are huge! I like the idea of the earrings pinned into your hair. I hope to be eccentric and wearing fun clothes...wait! Im already that woman!

Micaela said...

oh i want to go flea marketing with you! :)

i bought costume jewelry at an estate sale and the cute little old lady was telling me stories of each piece i bought and asked me to treasure them and have my own adventures :)

I LOVE the owl one!!!