Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Warm Woolen Mittens

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
You are welcome. I know I just got that song stuck in your head. I am so sorry. If it makes you feel better, just know that it is stuck in mine too. I was reminded of that song from Sound of Music yesterday when yet again I received another brown paper package with a surprise in it for me! The surprise just happened to be warm woolen mittens!
When my cousin, Alexis, told me she would knit me something for my birthday, I was thrilled. I love handmade gifts. I was just excited to know that someone was actually making something for me. However, I had no idea of just how skilled Alexis is with knitting needles and yarn!
The color of the mittens is my favorite shade of red, a deep, rich cranberry. Here is a close-up.
These mittens are the best mittens I have ever seen because they are not too thick and bulky. I can easily drive in them and could probably perform other tasks as well....except maybe blogging.
She even threw in a bonus hat! It was gorgeous!

Here is the whole set. It was such a lovely surprise! I knew she made me mittens and that it took longer than expected, but I was still pleasantly surprised by the whole package. These arrived on my doorstep the day that Avery locked us all out of the bedroom. I needed a pick-me-up!
Here I am in my lovely new warm wollen mittens made with love! I would have put up a color picture, but my skin looked very splotchy and I didn't want to distract you from the mittens and hat with my splotchiness.

I am feeling very blessed! March is beginning to feel like the month of surprise packages! Two in one week between my knick knack exchange and the mittens and hat is extraordinary. It is amazing how something as simple as a little brown box or envelope can make someone feel special and lift their spirits.
In honor of the blessings in my life, my good mood, and the approach of Spring, I will be hosting my first ever blog giveaway. I am very, very excited about it. I want to spread the cheer to someone else. Stay tuned this week because I will post all about my giveaway.

2 comments:

Lex said...

Actually, the mittens took three or four days. I did the hat in a couple of days. Its the friggin scarf that took so long. And I ended up ripping it back half way. Then the disease hit our house and I thought it best not to send you a potentially contaminated package. Im glad you like them. The hat is also supposed to be a jaunty slouchy beret but it ended up a little smaller than expected.

AND I medaled in the Ravelympics with both of those projects. Ill explain what that means tomorrow when I see you!

*sings* She wore a craaaanberry beret! HA! Got one stuck in your head now!

Mom said...

How awesome, they are so pretty! Too bad it is so hot in Phoenix.