Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sister Inspiration!

Lately I have been lacking inspiration on my blog. All the things that are on my mind (education reform, family relationships, etc) would either bore you or anger you! I have learned that if I lack inspiration, it helps to read some of my favorite blogs to see what other bloggers are writing about. It worked! Over at the Pioneer Woman, PW was posting "Sister Photos" in a contest that she was hosting. I absolutely love the pictures that she has posted of strangers with their sisters. Now that I have two little girls, I am fascinated by the relationship between sisters...and I have to confess, I am a little jealous. It is true that I have great sis-in-laws, but nothing can compare to the relationship of sisters who share the same history together. I got a taste of this when I recently traveled with my mom and her sister. The sister relationship is so unique. Being able to share a history with another woman is so special, and I hope my mom, aunt, and all my cousins realize how amazing it is that they have sisters to call their own! I highly recommend that you check out Pioneer Woman's Sister Photo posts here. In the meantime, I want to share with you a few of my favorite sister shots of my own two little girls.

This first picture is one of the newborn shots of Piper when she was a week old. The photographer did not tell Avery to pose like this. She just did! This shot is so peaceful and loving. It shows the beginning of their bond together as sisters.


This second picture still melts my heart whenever I look at it. It perfectly captures the girls and their relationship right now, even though this was taken a few years ago. I totally understand what it is like to be the oldest. Avery captures it perfectly with her confident face, staring straight forward. However, the part that really gets me on this photo is Piper's face. I have no idea what it is like to be a little sister to a big sister. Piper adores her big sister. She will do anything for her, just for one ounce of approval. Just yesterday, Piper won a full size bag of M&Ms at Avery's school carnival (a coveted prize at the candy wheel). Avery was jealous to say the least. Piper said, "It okay, Ree Ree (her name for Avery). I share with you." And she did! Piper came home and split that whole bag in half. Such adoration! This picture just takes my breath away and makes my heart burst for Piper, who is desperately in love with her big sister.


This last picture is just a cute one. It reminds me of how Avery is always looking over Piper's shoulders.


I am a little sad that I don't have a sister to call my own. A sister who I fought with through childhood, but became best friends with as an adult. If you have a sister, call her today!!! Share some laughs about all you have been through. In the meantime, I will continue to gain wisdom from observing the sister relationship with my own daughters!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the pics of your girls together. They are adorable. My sister is 9 years older than me. So we had tons of fights growing up and are now best friends. My girls are 8 years apart and I know we have a long road ahead of us before they will actually refer to each other as "friends".

Liz said...

So sweet, Lindsay! The pictures are adorable. I have two sisters, one just a year younger, and we are great friends. I am sure Avery and Piper will be too:)