Saturday, May 26, 2012

Schoooooool's Out for Summer!


Well, the school year has come to an end. Most teachers are counting down the days and ecstatic when school is over for the year. I did countdown the days eventually, but once it is all said and done, it takes me awhile to "adjust." That feeling of going from TONS of neverending work to do (the life of a teacher) to NOTHING to do makes me a nervous wreck. I know, I know....totally weird. However, I truly have spent the last three week days being a bit of a basket case. I am not embarrassed to admit that I have a bit of an anxiety disorder, cuz I do. The routine of work every day is good for me. No worries though. We will settle into our summer break very, very soon. The girls and I have to figure out how to spend our days and not go crazy. That's the other thing....sometimes it is weird (for only a few days) to go from working every day kind of mom to stay at home mom. Being a SAHM is hard work in itself! I do have to admit I LOVE being able to cook fun recipes and do whatever I want all day with the girls. I love it, but it makes me a nervous wreck sometimes....hard to explain to someone with a more normal brain than me.


Last week I was really feeling that feeling I have blogged about before...that I am at some kind of a crossroads and something has to change. I get that bug every once in awhile. I never hesitate to listen to that inner voice either. The thing that was truly making me crazy last week was trying to figure out what to do about my real estate license. It is up for renewal and my state fees are due. The fees are majorly expensive. In order to renew, I have to take a class and that is another cost. I recently switched over to F.C. Tucker. They have been great so far, but they were suggesting I attend "Tucker School" to learn about the ins and outs of the company and its history. The Tucker School is free, but would take up a week of my summer with my kids! Grrrrrr. If you don't know me and you are reading this thinking, wait a minute....isn't this chick a teacher? You are right. I am an elementary teacher. And a realtor. And a wife and mom. I started real estate when I was on maternity leave with my little Bean who is now four. In retrospect, I don't regret it. I learned an entirely new trade and made extra money for the fam. I stayed home for a year after the year of hell and thought maybe I could just be a realtor. I soon realized that was just plain crazy. I missed having a classroom so badly! I missed being creative. Thank God my school took me right back when I asked to return!


So I have been trying to manage the life of an elementary teacher mom who also does real estate on the side. Last week I just had this overwhelming feeling on the inside that said STOP. It is all too much. My inner voice kept saying to go into referral status as a realtor (which means I would be inactive, but could still make money on referral fees for referring people to agents). You normal brained people out there may be thinking this decision was a no brainer. But not for an anxiety ridden person like me. I HATE the feeling of quitting something. I am a perfectionist and overachiever. Surprised? Well, it's true. Have you met my oldest child when she is having a freak out? Well, guess where she gets that gene? Right here. Like her Mama, she wants to do everything perfect the first time. This is an exhausting trait. My husband totally has wanted me to go into referral status, but my inner overachiever kept thinking that it would be like being a quitter, which I am not. Then last week I just gave in to the other inner voice telling me to stop. I went to F.C. Tucker and turned in the paperwork to switch to being an inactive referral agent. I am just tired of spending money to continue to be a realtor. If you have a realtor currently, trust me when I say it costs A LOT of money to be one....so show some appreciation to yours! P.S. Need a realtor? Ask ME to refer you. I will put you in touch with an amazing realtor with tons of experience and that realtor will pay me for the referral. Sweet deal! You let me make a phone call, which helps me make some money for my family!


Now I can focus solely on being wife, mom, and teacher (and can also refer people to great agents for their real estate needs). After bedtime each night, I have been reading tons of teacher blogs and pinning lots of teacher stuff on Pinterest because that is my passion. I even spent my rare free time by myself going to a teacher store last week. This girl has to teach. Plain and simple. My first class ever graduated from high school last night...weird. I had them in second grade! I got a few sweet messages from some of those kids saying that they remember my class and loved it! Ha! My first year was probably a hot mess, but I am glad they loved it and remembered it.


So anyway....this is a rambling post that you may or may not still be reading. To sum it up, I am trying to take a deep breath and enjoy summer. I am trying not to be anxiety ridden and overthink everything that pops into my head. I am hoping I made the right decision about my real estate license. That is why I just didn't hesitate too long on making my big decision about going into referral status as a realtor. Yes, I can do many things well, but sometimes there is a such thing as "too much." You have to simplify.


How are all of you adjusting to summer break with the kiddos? Drop me a comment!


I promise to start blogging again! I just had to get this serious stuff out of the way. :)

0 comments: